FUNDED PHD CANDIDATE POSITION – Spoken Language Group- AT THE BCBL- BASQUE CENTER ON COGNITION BRAIN AND LANGUAGE (SAN SEBASTIÁN, BASQUE COUNTRY, SPAIN) www.bcbl.eu
- INFORMATION ABOUT THE POSITION
- Position: PhD student
- Researcher Profile: First Stage Researcher (R1- up to the point of PhD)
- Number of vacancies: 1
- Project: PID2020-113348GB-I00 Connecting Words: The Role of Co-Activation in Lexical Acquisition Location: Spain > Donostia-San Sebastian
- Research Field: Psychology > Cognition and Language
- Type of contract/Duration of Contract: 4 years
- Job Status: Full-time
- Hours per week: 35
- Starting date: September 2022
Information about the project: The Basque Center on Cognition Brain and Language – BCBL- (San Sebastián, Basque Country, Spain) is offering one 4-year funded PhD opportunity.
Project summary: Word learning is important for all aspects of language use, from the early acquisition of one’s native language and throughout childhood and adulthood. This project focuses on the fundamental cognitive mechanisms that subserve novel word learning. In addition to its practical value, this issue also has great theoretical significance; examining how words are learned will allow us to reach a more comprehensive understanding of the representations and processes that are involved in language use.
The main goal of this project is to investigate how new words are incorporated into our mental lexicon networks and, specifically, how co-activation of novel and familiar words allows them to become interlinked. In a series of behavioral and eye-tracking studies, we will test whether and how novel words become interlinked with familiar words under a set of different conditions, and how the learning process and outcomes are affected by individual differences such as vocabulary size.
Job description: The selected candidate will be involved in developing and running behavioral and eye-tracking experiments, analyzing data, and disseminating the results in scientific conferences (oral presentations/posters) and peer-reviewed journals. The selected candidate will also have the opportunity to develop original experiments under the supervision and guidance of the two PIs.
PI and research group: Dr. Efthymia Kapnoula (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Prof. Arthur Samuel (email@example.com) – https://www.bcbl.eu/en/research/research-groups/spoken-language
- CANDIDATES’ PROFILE AND SELECTION CRITERIA
- Applicants should have a Master’s (or equivalent) degree in Psychology, Cognitive Neuroscience, Linguistics, and/or neighboring areas.
- The applicants must demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Knowledge of Spanish and/or Basque
- Previous experimental experience in psycholinguistic research
- Previous experience with eye-tracking
- Statistics skills
- Programming skills
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Salary: 16.250€ gross/year (year 1 and 2); 17.410€ gross/year 3; 21.760€ gross/year 4
Entitlements and other benefits: https://www.bcbl.eu/en/join-us/what-is-like-to-work-bcbl
Training opportunities and Career development plan:
Researchers at any stage of their career, regardless of their contractual situation, are given an opportunity for professional development and for improving their employability through access to a Personal Career Development Plan which includes
(1) Training through individually personalized research projects under senior supervision
(2) Exchanging knowledge with the scientific community and the general public
(3) Network-wide training in theory and methods
(4) Complementary training courses
(5) Involvement in proposal writing, task coordination
(6) Development of skills for the organization of training and scientific events
- OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION:
- The corporative language at the Center is English. The national and local languages will be an asset for this particular position
- The center provides initial level Spanish and Basque lessons to all the international staff members
- The interview will be conducted entirely in English
- APPLICATION PROCESS:
Potential candidates are invited to take part in the Spanish Ministry Call for PhD Students expected for Autumn 2021. Before applying, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to contact the PI(s) of the corresponding project in order to express their interest, discuss their potential fit for the position, and request any clarifications about the position and/or the project. Note that each candidate can apply to only 1 (one) project. The BCBL admin team will support potential candidates within the application process.
Application process timetable:
To be announced as soon as 2021 Spanish Ministry Call for PhD Students is published. Expected: October 2021
Contact details for enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org