FUNDED PHD CANDIDATE POSITION – Speech and Bilingualism Group- AT THE BCBL- BASQUE CENTER ON COGNITION BRAIN AND LANGUAGE (SAN SEBASTIÁN, BASQUE COUNTRY, SPAIN) www.bcbl.eu
- INFORMATION ABOUT THE POSITION
- Position: PhD student
- Researcher Profile: First Stage Researcher (R1- up to the point of PhD)
- Number of vacancies: 1
- Project: PID2020-113926GB-I00 Language production across modalities, languages, and contexts Location: Spain > Donostia-San Sebastian
- Research Field: Neuroscience > Cognition and Language
- Type of contract/Duration of Contract : 4 years
- Job Status: Full-time
- Hours per week: 35
- Starting date: September 2022
Information about the project: The Basque Center on Cognition Brain and Language – BCBL- (San Sebastián, Basque Country, Spain) is offering one 4-year funded PhD opportunity.
Project summary: To this day, most studies, theories, and models focus on oral language production in isolation, and neglecting to investigate how the context of production influences and modulates speech production. Furthermore, neither written language production nor the similarities and differences between oral and written production have received sufficient attention in prior research, despite the prevalence of written language. The main goal of this project is to provide a better integrated and more complete picture of language production. In particular, we aim to explore how oral production varies with the input modality (i.e., picture vs. written word) both in native and non-native speakers. Moreover, we aim to contrast the two output modalities (i.e., oral and written production) and reveal the cross-modality interplay both in native and non-native speakers.
Job description: The candidate will be responsible for leading his/her own research projects from beginning to end, under supervision: coming up with research ideas, designing and running experiments, analyzing data, reporting results by writing up research papers and presenting at international conferences. The candidate will be encouraged to collaborate with researchers at BCBL at all stages of their career (predoctoral students, postdoctoral fellows, and established researchers) by taking part in weekly group and lab meetings, seminars of external speakers, specific interest groups, etc. The core of the project will rely on behavioral tasks and measures, with fine-grained analysis of language production (e.g., acoustic analysis, typing execution). If desired, the candidate could also develop some part of the project taking advantage of neuroimaging techniques (e.g., EEG, eye-tracking, MEG, fMRI).
PI and research group: The candidate will integrate the Speech and Bilingualism group led by Dr. Clara Martin (email@example.com), and will be co-supervised by Drs. Clara Martin and Svetlana Pinet (firstname.lastname@example.org). The research group focuses on exploring factors impacting speech production and perception in L1 and L2, including contextual properties (e.g., foreign accentedness of the speaker/addressee). Another line of research targets bilingual language control by exploring L1/L2 language interference in word and sentence perception and production in monolingual and bilingual (switching) modes. We recently started a large-scale ERC project investigating the impact of the orthographic system on speech sound and word perception and production across modalities (listening, reading, speaking, typing), languages (opaque and transparent orthographies), and populations (monolinguals and bilinguals with varying reading skills).
- CANDIDATES’ PROFILE AND SELECTION CRITERIA
- Applicants should have a Master’s (or equivalent Honours) degree in Psychology, Cognitive Neuroscience, Linguistics, and/or neighboring areas.
- Strong background in programming and statistical analyses is recommended.
- The applicants must demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Previous experience in participating in research projects (e.g., data collection, analysis) is desired.
- Knowledge of Spanish (or willingness to learn) is a plus.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Salary: 16.250€ gross/year (year 1 and 2); 17.410€ gross/year 3; 21.760€ gross/year 4
Entitlements and other benefits: https://www.bcbl.eu/en/join-us/what-is-like-to-work-bcbl
Training opportunities and Career development plan:
Researchers at any stage of their career, regardless of their contractual situation, are given an opportunity for professional development and for improving their employability through access to a Personal Career Development Plan which includes
(1) Training through individually personalized research projects under senior supervision
(2) Exchanging knowledge with the scientific community and the general public
(3) Network-wide training in theory and methods
(4) Complementary training courses
(5) Involvement in proposal writing, task coordination
(6) Development of skills for the organization of training and scientific events
- OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION:
- The corporative language at the Center is English. The national and local languages will be an asset for this particular position
- The center provides initial level Spanish and Basque lessons to all the international staff members
- The interview will be conducted entirely in English
- APPLICATION PROCESS:
Potential candidates are invited to take part in the Spanish Ministry Call for PhD Students expected for Autumn 2021. Before applying, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to contact the PI(s) of the corresponding project in order to express their interest, discuss their potential fit for the position, and request any clarifications about the position and/or the project. Note that each candidate can apply to only 1 (one) project. The BCBL admin team will support potential candidates within the application process.
Application process timetable:
To be announced as soon as 2021 Spanish Ministry Call for PhD Students is published. Expected: October 2021
Contact details for enquiries: email@example.com