FUNDED PHD CANDIDATE POSITION - Neurolinguistics and Aphasia Group- AT THE BCBL- BASQUE CENTER ON COGNITION BRAIN AND LANGUAGE (SAN SEBASTIÁN, BASQUE COUNTRY, SPAIN) www.bcbl.eu
- INFORMATION ABOUT THE POSITION
- Position: PhD student
- Researcher Profile: First Stage Researcher (R1- up to the point of PhD)
- Number of vacancies: 1
- Project: PID2020-113945RB-I00 NeLT.esp: Neurolinguistic Test for the assessment of aphasia in Spanish
- Location: Spain > Donostia-San Sebastian
- Research Field: Neuroscience > Cognition and Language
- Type of contract/Duration of Contract: Temporary: 4 years
- Job Status: Full-time
- Hours per week: 35
- Starting date: September 2022
Information about the project: The Basque Center on Cognition Brain and Language – BCBL- (San Sebastián, Basque Country, Spain) is offering one 4-year funded PhD opportunity.
Project summary: Assessment of aphasic impairment and of its severity relies on the administration of batteries of tasks that allow clinicians and researchers to identify linguistic deficits. In Spanish, the validity of existing tools is often limited by their lack of typological sensitivity and by their coverage of a reduced set of linguistic domains, which can significantly hinder proper aphasia assessment and, consequently, proper treatment of language impairment. The proposed project aims at developing and validating a computer-based language assessment tool in Spanish that introduces recent advances in neurolinguistics and cognitive neuroscience into existing clinical practices. Its long-term goal is to redefine aphasia assessment and, by combining insights from behavioral and cutting-edge neuroimaging techniques, to contribute to a better understanding of the neural bases of language and language impairment.
Job description: The selected candidate will participate in a study that combines clinical, behavioral and neuroimaging data. His/her work will be focused (though not exclusively) on the acquisition, processing, and analysis of data, with the goal of developing a doctoral thesis project in the field of neurolinguistics and cognitive neuroscience of language. The selected candidate will also have access to cutting edge research facilities, including MEG, EEG, fMRI, eye tracking and psychophysics laboratories.
PI and research group: Dr. Simona Mancini – Neurolinguistics and Aphasia group (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- CANDIDATES’ PROFILE AND SELECTION CRITERIA
- Applicants should have a Master’s (or equivalent Honours) degree in Psychology, Cognitive Neuroscience, Linguistics, and/or neighboring areas.
- A high level of written and spoken English and Spanish is required.
- Knowledge of Basque and basic programming skills in Python and R environments are an asset but are not required.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Salary: 16.250€ gross/year (year 1 and 2); 17.410€ gross/year 3; 21.760€ gross/year 4
Entitlements and other benefits: https://www.bcbl.eu/en/join-us/what-is-like-to-work-bcbl
Training opportunities and Career development plan:
Researchers at any stage of their career, regardless of their contractual situation, are given an opportunity for professional development and for improving their employability through access to a Personal Career Development Plan which includes
(1) Training through individually personalized research projects under senior supervision
(2) Exchanging knowledge with the scientific community and the general public
(3) Network-wide training in theory and methods
(4) Complementary training courses
(5) Involvement in proposal writing, task coordination
(6) Development of skills for the organization of training and scientific events
- OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION:
- The corporative language at the Center is English. The local language (Basque) will be an asset for this particular position but is not a requirement.
- The interview will be conducted entirely in English
- APPLICATION PROCESS:
Potential candidates are invited to take part in the Spanish Ministry Call for PhD Students expected for Autumn 2021. Before applying, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to contact the PI(s) of the corresponding project in order to express their interest, discuss their potential fit for the position, and request any clarifications about the position and/or the project. Note that each candidate can apply to only 1 (one) project. The BCBL admin team will support potential candidates within the application process.
Application process timetable:
To be announced as soon as 2021 Spanish Ministry Call for PhD Students is published. Expected: October 2021
Contact details for enquiries: email@example.com